Sri Lanka Cricket has suspended player Danushka Gunathilaka after he was charged with four counts of sexual assault in Australia.

The local governing body of the sport said the 31-year-old batsman, who was in Australia for the T20 World Cup, was suspended “from all forms of the game with immediate effect”.

It’s crunch time at the T20 World Cup and you can catch every match live and ad-free in play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

“Furthermore, Sri Lanka Cricket will take the necessary steps to promptly carry out an inquiry into the alleged offence, and, upon conclusion of the aforementioned court case in Australia, steps will be taken to penalise the said player if found guilty,” it said.

It added that the board “adopts a ‘zero tolerance’ policy for any such conduct by a player and will provide all the required support to the Australian law enforcement authorities to carry out an impartial inquiry into the incident.”

On Monday, a Sydney court rejected the player’s application for bail.

It means he will remain behind bars but has the “full support” of the Sri Lankan high commission.

The international cricket star, 31, appeared at Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Monday via audio visual link from Surry Hills Police Station after he was arrested at a Sussex St hotel in the city’s CBD about 1am on Sunday.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s sex crimes squad and Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command began a joint investigation following allegations a 29-year-old woman was sexually assaulted.

Gunathilaka was arrested in the early hours of the morning and taken to Surry Hills Police Station where he was charged with four counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

He was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday, but the court papers did not make it and he spent another night in custody on remand as the matter was moved to Monday morning.

Magistrate Robert Williams refused Gunathilaka’s bail, meaning he will spend the next two months behind bars on remand until the matter is next before the court in January.

Defence lawyer Ananda Amaranath told media outside court that he wanted the court to remain open but that the magistrate ordered the court closed.

Mr Amaranath said his client was “disappointed” by the result.

“He will be disappointed clearly … but we have to accept the decision,” Mr Amaranath said.

“He has the full support of the Sri Lankan high commission and the cricket board.”

— With Lauren Ferri, NCA Newswire

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *