LIV Golf offered a figure between $700 million-$800 million ($A997m-$1.1bn) to Tiger Woods in an attempt to lure the 15-time major winner away from the PGA Tour, according to LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman.
“The number has been out there, yes,” Norman said on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Monday night.
Watch LIVE coverage from The USPGA Tour with Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
“Tiger is a needle mover. So of course you got to look at the best of the best. They originally approached Tiger before I became CEO, so yes, that number is somewhere in that neighbourhood.”
The Saudi Arabia-backed golf league has grown notorious for offering audacious sums of money to pry golfers from the PGA Tour, with Woods’ offer being the most-lucrative total known to date, the NY Post reports.
Norman had previously hinted at the offer, noting that the money was ‘mind-blowingly enormous.’
Few professional golfers have been more critical of LIV Golf than Woods. In July, ahead of the British Open, Woods supported the R&A’s decision to disinvite Norman from its Celebration of Champions exhibition, while also lashing out against the golfers who defected to join the LIV ranks.
“The players who have chosen to go to LIV and to play there, I disagree with it,” Woods said.
“I think that what they’ve done is they’ve turned their back on what has allowed them to get to this position.”
The separate factions have even disintegrated relationships between Woods and other golfers.
Monday, Bryson DeChambeau — who reportedly received more than $US125 million to join LIV Golf — revealed that he has not spoken with Woods since his defection.
LIV Golf just completed its third tournament this past weekend at Trump Bedminster that was won by Henrik Stenson.
The tournament was widely criticised by families of 9/11 members who condemned former president Donald Trump for accepting “blood money” from Saudi Arabia.
This article originally appeared on the NY Post and was reproduced with permission.