Nick Kyrgios has delivered the perfect response to Bernard Tomic’s $1m challenge as the pair’s war of words continued to heat up.

The barbs between Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic have continued to fly in an entertaining war of words played out across the media and social media.

The controversial and outspoken pair have seemingly never been too friendly but the stoush reignited on Thursday, leading Kyrgios to label Tomic “the most hated athlete in Australia”.

Watch Tennis Live with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. Live Coverage of ATP + WTA Tour Tournaments including Every Finals Match. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

It led to Tomic to call for both players to put $1m on the line in a head-to-head clash to decided who is the better of the players.

Tomic has been languishing on the Challenger circuit as he tries to rebuild his ranking from 418th in the world.

Kyrgios is currently ranked 76th in the world.

But the challenge has escalated further as Tomic reiterated his call for a big money tennis showdown — or to settle the grudge on the basketball court or in the boxing ring.

“First thing’s first, let’s set the record straight here,” Tomic said in a video via The Age. “Our current score is 1-0, I beat you once before, I’ll beat you again whenever you want. I dominate you every time we play, we train, and you know that.

“You say you’re good at basketball, I’ll beat you at that too.

“Tennis? I’ll dominate you one-on-one. To not make excuses, I’ll even play you on grass, whenever you want.

“You know what? Let’s sort this out in the boxing ring. Put your gloves on, I’ll dominate you there also. Let’s see who’s better once and for all.”

Tomic does have the lead in the career head-to-head, winning their only clash at the 2019 Kooyong Classic 6-3 6-4.

And Tomic also took aim at Kyrgios’ claim just last week that he is the best player on grass in the world.

Kyrgios’ best result at Wimbledon was a quarterfinal exit in 2014, where he eliminated then-World No. 1 Rafael Nadal before losing to then-8th seed Milos Raonic.

In fact, apart from his 2017 first round retirement to Pierre-Hugues Herbert, he has only ever been knocked out by seeded players at Wimbledon.

But Tomic wasn’t buying it and hit out at Kyrgios’ claims.

“Honestly, you’re delusional Nicky,” Tomic said. “You said last week that you were the No. 1 player on grass — you’re dreaming. You have the No. 1 mouth in the world for sure.

“At the end of the day, talk is cheap. I’m ready to make it 2-0 whenever you want. Put your money where your mouth is.

“Let the public decide who is better. I’ll beat you anywhere, any place. If not, shut your mouth and go back to playing doubles.”

But Kyrgios wasn’t about to take it lying down.

Responding via his Instagram Stories, Kyrgios responded to the calls in perfect fashion, wishing Tomic the best but also telling him if he wants to play, he needs to get back to the top of the tennis world.

Although he’s not about to leave his Wimbledon preparation in order to chase Tomic, Kyrgios said a grudge match — whether basketball, boxing or tennis — was not out of the question in the future.

“BT, I’m still playing on the tour, my brother. I’ve got bigger fish to fry,” Kyrgios said. “I’m actually in a grass court training block right now preparing for tournaments. Wimbledon and then US Open swing.

“I understand you’re at that Future and Challenger level right now but if you want to play me and you want to set this straight, just get back to the top of the sport. I’m right here, I’m not going anywhere. I still feel that I’m elite. I’m still beating some of the best in the world quite easily.

“So I’ll be waiting for you and if you’re capable of playing a decent level of tennis, you’ll show that. There’s no need to go through the media (and) use my name to get relevant again. Let’s just see your results, stop living in the past and let’s play each other on the main tour.”

And as for boxing?

“Maybe one day my brother we can later on when my career winds down,” Kyrgios said.

“But I’m too occupied at the moment bro, preparing for tournaments like Wimbledon and stuff. I hope everything is well, let’s put this to bed. I’ll verse you when I verse you if you can get back to the top and to the main tour.

“But as for now, I think you’ve got some bigger life challenges ahead brother, so best of luck.”

The latest war of words was sparked when a fan claimed Tomic was better than Kyrgios.

“Better in what way?” Kyrgios said. “I’ve got a higher career high (ranking). More money, more wins and give back whenever I can.

“It’s time for BT to just quiet down. He ain’t even playing anymore. I got years left.”

After comparing their records over social media, Kyrgios hit back labelling Tomic “the most HATED athlete in Australia”.

Kyrgios then pointed out Tomic’s latest results — two wins from six matches since Australian Open qualifying despite being on the second-tier tour.

“Bernard, I didn’t realise it was this bad. I low key feel bad now,” Kyrgios wrote.

“Hit me up if you need me to help you remember how to play. Geezus.”

It comes after Tomic, 29, has been in the tennis wilderness for years before revealing in December he was getting serious about his comeback to the court.

Read related topics:Nick Kyrgios

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.